2003 Hong Kong outbreak
The 2003 Hong Kong outbreak of chronic fatigue syndrome was caused by the SARS pandemic. An additional study of SARS survivors in Toronto, Canada, found a chronic post-SARS syndrome similar to fibromyalgia persisted in many SARS survivors 8 years after the SARS outbreak.
Onset[edit | edit source]
The SARS-CoV virus caused the SARS pandemic of 2002-2003, beginning in China in late 2002, and spreading to Hong Kong in February 2003, then Taiwan, Canada, and several other countries. The Hong Kong cases were infected at three main sites, the Amoy Gardens housing complex, the Metropole Hotel, and the Prince of Wales Hospital.
Symptoms[edit | edit source]
The chronic fatigue syndrome outbreak was not identified until Lam et al.'s 2009 follow up of those hospitalized with SARS. Lam et al. found 27.1% of the SARS survivors who had needed to be hospitalized had chronic fatigue syndrome.
Findings[edit | edit source]
Epidemiology[edit | edit source]
Prognosis[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2011, Chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, depression and disordered sleep in chronic post-SARS syndrome; a case-controlled study - (Full text)
- 2009, Mental Morbidities and Chronic Fatigue in Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Survivors: Long-term Follow-up - (Full text)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- Epidemic myalgic encephalomyelitis
- List of myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome outbreaks
References[edit | edit source]
- Lam, Marco Ho-Bun; Wing, Yun-Kwok; Yu, Mandy Wai-Man; Leung, Chi-Ming; Ma, Ronald C. W.; Kong, Alice P. S.; So, W. Y.; Fong, Samson Yat-Yuk; Lam, Siu-Ping (Dec 14, 2009). "Mental Morbidities and Chronic Fatigue in Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Survivors: Long-term Follow-up". Archives of Internal Medicine. 169 (22): 2142–2147. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2009.384. ISSN 0003-9926.
- Moldofsky, Harvey; Patcai, John (Mar 24, 2011). "Chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, depression and disordered sleep in chronic post-SARS syndrome; a case-controlled study". BMC Neurology. 11 (1): 37. doi:10.1186/1471-2377-11-37. ISSN 1471-2377. PMC . PMID 21435231.
- Hui, David S.C.; Chan, Paul K.S. (Sep 2010). "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and Coronavirus". Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 24 (3): 619–638. doi:10.1016/j.idc.2010.04.009. ISSN 0891-5520. PMC . PMID 20674795.
- Hung, Lee Shiu (Aug 2003). "The SARS Epidemic in Hong Kong: What Lessons have we Learned?". Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 96 (8): 374–378. doi:10.1177/014107680309600803. ISSN 0141-0768.