Staphylococcus vaccine (Staphypan) has been proposed as an immunomodulatory therapy in the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It was first used in Sweden with patients who became ill after a 1957 outbreak of Asian flu.
Staphypan is no longer being commercially manufactured. Another staphylococcal toxoid vaccine made by the Russian pharmaceutical company Medgamal is being used by some ME/CFS patients (see here), but it does not contain the same antigens as Staphypan. Its efficacy is unclear, but is thought to work to a degree, though less effective than Staphypan.
Staphylococcal vaccine favors Th1 dominance.
- Interview with Professor Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Part 1: Background and Vaccine, YouTube
- A forgotten treatment for fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome?, CFS Remission blog, Jan 30, 2016
- YouTube - Interview with Professor Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Part 1: Background and Vaccine
- IACFS/ME - Immunotherapy of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine
- Zachrisson, Olof; Regland, Björn; Jahreskog, Marianne; Jonsson, Michael; Kron, Margareta; Gottfries, Carl-Gerhard (2002), "Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome--a randomised controlled trial", European Journal of Pain (London, England), 6 (6): 455–466, ISSN 1090-3801, PMID 12413434
- Zachrisson, O.; Colque-Navarro, P.; Gottfries, C. G.; Regland, B.; Möllby, R. (February 2004), "Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement", European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases: Official Publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology, 23 (2): 98–105, doi:10.1007/s10096-003-1062-8, ISSN 0934-9723, PMID 14735403
immunomodulator - a substance that affects the functioning of the immune system
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.
randomized controlled trial (RCT) - A trial in which participants are randomly assigned to two groups, with one group receiving the treatment being studied and a control or comparison group receiving a sham treatment, placebo, or comparison treatment.