The spinal cord has three layers of protection called meninges. Dura mater: the tough (durable) outer layer. Arachnoid mater: called this because it has a spider-web/leggy appearance. Pia mater (soft mother): a very delicate layer that attaches to the spinal cord and follows the contours of the cord or brain.
There’s also 3 spaces: Subarachnoid: deep to the arachnoid mater that contains cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Subdural: a potential space below the dura mater. Epidural: Fat.
The brain and spinal cord have their own immune system. Microglia cells are a part of that immune system.
Injury to the brain or spinal cord, such as those caused by stroke or trauma, result in a considerable weakening of the immune system.
Spinal cord and ME[edit | edit source]
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - Myel: Relating to the spinal cord. Itis: Inflammation
ME patient autopsies have shown changes to the spinal cord[edit | edit source]
- Sophia Mirza's autopsy showed her spine contained massive infection. (Note: Sophia's Death Notice has her death due to CFS)
- Lynn Gilderdale had ganglionitis which is an inflammation of dorsal root ganglia of her spine, typical for a neurological illness.
- Merryn Crofts's autopsy showed she had ganglionitis.
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Spinal Cord Cross-section
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Exterior of the Spinal Cord
- Spinal nerve
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ "Scientists create new map of brain's immune system". ScienceDaily. February 19, 2019. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- ↑ "Brain immune system is key to recovery from motor neuron degeneration: Results in study point to new approaches for ALS therapy". ScienceDaily. February 20, 2018. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- ↑ "An interconnection between the nervous and immune system: Neuroendocrine reflex triggers infections". ScienceDaily. September 29, 2017. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- ↑ Hooper, Malcolm (February 2005). "Invest in ME Research - The Terminology of ME & CFS". Invest in ME Research. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- ↑ "encephalomyelitis". TheFreeDictionary.com. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- ↑ "myel-". TheFreeDictionary.com. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- ↑ "Itis". TheFreeDictionary.com. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
The information provided at this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness.
From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history.