Gary E. Kaplan,D.O. is the founder and medical director of the Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine in McLean, VA. A pioneer and leader in the field of integrative medicine, Dr. Kaplan is one of only 19 physicians in the country to be board-certified in both Family Medicine and Pain Medicine. He is also board-certified in Medical Acupuncture and has studied and practiced Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, Regenerative Medicine and Emergency Medicine. Dr. Kaplan is also certified by The American College for Advancement in Medicine in the practice of Chelation Therapy. He is Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine at Georgetown University School of Medicine and served on the Advisory Committee to Health and Human Services for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
He has worked with the National Institutes of Health to establish acupuncture as a medically effective treatment for a range of chronic pain problems. Additionally, Dr. Kaplan has trained physicians in medical acupuncture through the Helms Institute for Medical Acupuncture, sponsored by the UCLA School of Medicine, and has written and lectured extensively on acupuncture and the integration of complementary and alternative therapies in the treatment of pain and chronic illness.
In 2015 he established the Foundation for Total Recovery in order to provide support and find a cure for all who suffer with chronic pain and depression by educating patients, building an online community of patients, doctors and researchers, partnering with leading researchers, academics and innovators, and studying data to find a baseline approach to diagnosing and curing neuroinflammation. In 2022, the Foundation co-sponsored the conference “Autoimmune Encephalopathy Secondary to Infectious Disease: A New Perspective on the Pathogenetic Interaction of the Immune system, Infection, Stress and Chronic Disease.”Dr. Kaplan is the author of two books, Total Recovery: A Revolutionary New Approach to Breaking the Cycle of Pain and Depression (Rodale, 2014) and Why You Are Still Sick, How Infections Can Break Your Immune System & How You Can Recover (Callanan Publishers, 2022). His work has been featured in TIME magazine, the Wall Street Journal, Fox News 5, ABC’s Good Morning America, CNN News, BBC, US News and World Report, and NPR’s Diane Rehm Show. He has also written for MindBodyGreen. Washingtonian Magazine has included Dr. Kaplan in its list of the “Best Doctors in the Washington, DC Area,” and he has received the distinction of being a “Top rated” physician in the Northern Virginia area by Consumer’s Checkbook.
Books[edit | edit source]
- 2014, Total Recovery: Breaking the Cycle of Chronic Pain and Depression by Dr. Gary Kaplan with Donna Beech (ISBN-13: 978-1623365615). The book covers Dr. Kaplan's theory that many chronic conditions such as migraines, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic back pain, depression, anxiety, and PTSD, is caused by a deep-rooted inflammation in the brain that can last weeks to years and includes ways to help regain health.
- 2022, Why You Are Still Sick: How Infections Can Break Your Immune System & How You Can Recover by Dr. Gary Kaplan with Donna Beech. This book explains a new autoimmune disease that has emerged and shows you the steps you can take to recover. The power to take charge of your own health is in your hands. These are the same techniques Dr. Gary Kaplan uses to treat autoimmune diseases at The Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine with astonishing success.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- PODCAST: How Neuroinflammation Disrupts Your Immune System "The Human Upgrade" with David Asprey
- FEATURED PRESS: "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome aka Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)," Positive Health Online, Issue 224 - August 2015
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- The Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KaplanCenterforIntegrativeMedicine
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-kaplan-62189862/
About the Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine[edit | edit source]
In 1985, Dr. Kaplan created the Kaplan Center to offer patients suffering from chronic pain and illness a more effective model of medical care. Incorporating the best elements of conventional and alternative medicine, the goal was — and continues to be — to provide an integrative approach that attends not only to a patient’s physical symptoms but also addresses the root causes of an individual’s pain and illness, including problems of the mind and spirit that may be contributing to the disease process. At the Kaplan Center, you’ll find professional expertise, strong communication between you and your provider, and a high level of collaboration among the members of our medical team in caring for you. The result: We put you back in charge of your life and help you attain optimal health.
To learn more about how the Kaplan Center physicians diagnose and care for patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, please click here. Dr. Kaplan has written and lectured extensively on the topic of Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS), a complex neuro-physiological reaction that can cause chronic fatigue and chronic pain.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- HHS.gov, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee Roster (PDF) (pdf)
- HHS.gov (2016), CFSAC Spring 2016 Webinar Meeting Minutes – Day 1 (Roster)