The ME CFS Foundation South Africa
The ME CFS Foundation South Africa (MECFSSA) is a national South African patient group for people with ME/CFS.
Aims[edit | edit source]
The foundation's objectives are:
- To raise awareness of ME/CFS by informing and educating the public and medical practitioners about the illness and its devastating effects on patients and their loved ones.
- To get experts on the field of ME/CFS to contribute meaningfully to the education process and to diagnose those affected and provide some form of basic treatment.
- To provide information of available resources when patients suspect they have ME/CFS.
- To provide comprehensive support to those affected in South Africa.
- To contribute to research being done globally.
- To build on the work previously done by the ME Association of South Africa led by the late Arlene Vermaak.
Services[edit | edit source]
The foundation provides a website and facebook page with information and support. The MECFSSA is currently fundraising in order to raise awareness across South Africa via social media, local newspapers, information pamphlets on ME/CFS for medical practitioners, and to assist patients who can’t afford treatment.
History[edit | edit source]
The ME CFS Foundation South Africa was founded by ME patient Retha Viviers in 2016. The foundation participated in the 27 September Millions Missing protest virtually, raising awareness through the media and social media.
Funding[edit | edit source]
The ME CFS Foundation South Africa is registered as a non-profit company (registration number: 2015/394378/08). Its funding comes entirely from individual donations.
Interviews and articles[edit | edit source]
- 20 Feb 2017, Chronic Fatigue: Missing Millions (Carte Blanche DSTV)
- 27 May 2016, Woman home-bound by invisible disease. Benoni City Times.
- 25 May 2016, Foundation seeks help raising funds for ‘invisible’ illness. North Eastern Tribune.
Online presence[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- MECFSSA - Facebook page (About)
- MECFSSA - About Us
- MECFSSA - Brief Summary of ME/CFS, MECFSSA and the #MillionsMissing Campaign
- MECFSSA - How You Can Help
- Ngcobo, Khanyisile (May 25, 2016), "Foundation seeks help raising funds for 'invisible' illness", North Eastern Tribune, South Africa, retrieved Nov 28, 2016
- 11 Oct 2016, Millions Missing Day of Protest Draws Attention to Plight of ME/CFS Patients All Over the Globe. Onward Through The Fog.
- Shoes for a syndrome. Sandton Chronicle.
- van Dijk, Erik (May 27, 2016), "Woman home-bound by invisible disease", Benoni City Times, South Africa, retrieved Nov 28, 2016
Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome