Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Tremors can be caused by:
- Anxiety, nervousness or emotional stress
- As a sensory symptom, in reaction to a toxin:142
- Weakness, e.g. muscle weakness
- As a symptom of different diseases, including postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) and other forms of orthostatic intolerance:22
- As a side effect of certain medications, including dextroamphetamine, dichloroacetate (DCA),fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), gabapentin (neurontin), paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat), sertraline (Zoloft)
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Definition of TREMOR". Merrian-Webster Medical Dictionary. Retrieved Feb 20, 2021.
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, A C Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7-115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Fukuda, K.; Straus, S. E.; Hickie, I.; Sharpe, M. C.; Dobbins, J. G.; Komaroff, A. (Dec 15, 1994). "The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group" (PDF). Annals of Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. 121 (12): 953–959. ISSN 0003-4819. PMID 7978722.
- Comhaire, Frank (May 1, 2018). "Treating patients suffering from myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) with sodium dichloroacetate: An open-label, proof-of-principle pilot trial". Medical Hypotheses. 114: 45–48. doi:10.1016/j.mehy.2018.03.002. ISSN 0306-9877.
postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) - A form of orthostatic intolerance where the cardinal symptom is excessive tachycardia due to changing position (e.g. from lying down to sitting up).
adverse reaction - Any unintended or unwanted response to the treatment under investigation in a clinical trial.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue (idiopathic chronic fatigue) without additional symptoms. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.