Richard Podell, M.D., MPH, is a Clinical Professor at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey and has a private practice where he sees ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia and other patients. He practices integrated medicine in Summit, NJ. He was a provider of Ampligen during one of its earlier trials.
In 2002, Podell was a member of the writing committee for A Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a clinical care manual produced by The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey and the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services.
Dr. Podell provides updates in research and treatment options via his YouTube channel: Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgis Update with Dr. Richard Podell
- M.D. - Harvard Medical School
- Address: 11 Upper Overlook Rd # 140, Summit, NJ 07901
- Phone: (908) 273-7770
Open Letter to The Lancet
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Podell, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgis Update with Dr. Richard Podell
- Ginevra Liptan - Segment 1: The Pros and Cons of medical Marijuana Use of Fibromyalgia Patients
- Ginevra Liptan - Segment 2: The Use of Medical Marijuana for Fibromyalgia Patients
- Kim Jones - Segment 1: Exercise with Fibromyalgia
- Kim Jones - Segment 2: Exercise and Fibromyalgia
- Kim Jones - Segment 3: Exercise and Fibromyalgia
- Alan Light - Segment 1: Why Research Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia?
- Alan Light - Segment 2: Detailed Explanation of Dr. Light's CFS and FM Research
- Alan Light - Segment 3: Update on Dr. Light's Recent CFS and FM Research
- 2017, Multi-Site Clinical Assessment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (MCAM): Design and Implementation of a Prospective/Retrospective Rolling Cohort Study
"Abstract - In the Multi-Site Clinical Assessment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (MCAM), we relied on expert clinician diagnoses to enroll patients from 7 specialty clinics in the United States in order to perform a systematic collection of data on measures of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Healthy persons and those with other illnesses that share some features with ME/CFS were enrolled in comparison groups. The major objectives were to: 1) use standardized questionnaires to measure illness domains of ME/CFS and to evaluate patient heterogeneity overall and between clinics; 2) describe the course of illness, identify the measures that best correlate with meaningful clinical differences, and assess the performances of questionnaires as patient/person-reported outcome measures; 3) describe prescribed medications, orders for laboratory and other tests, and management tools used by expert clinicians to care for persons with ME/CFS; 4) collect biospecimens for future hypothesis testing and for evaluation of morning cortisol profiles; and 5) identify measures that best distinguish persons with ME/CFS from those in the comparison groups and detect subgroups of persons with ME/CFS who may have different underlying causes. Enrollment began in 2012 and is planned to continue in multiple stages through 2017. We present the MCAM methods in detail, along with an initial description of the 471 patients with ME/CFS who were enrolled in stage 1."
- 2002, Dr. Podell was on the writing committee for A Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Joseph F. John, Jr., MD, Editor and James M. Oleske, MD, MPH, Associate Editor.
- A Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - 2002 by The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey and the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
- Unger, Elizabeth R.; Lin, Jin-Mann S.; Tian, Hao; Natelson, Benjamin H; Lange, Gudrun; Vu, Diana; Blate, Michelle; Klimas, Nancy G.; Balbin, Elizabeth G.; Bateman, Lucinda; Allen, Ali; Lapp, Charles W.; Springs, Wendy; Kogelnik, Andreas M.; Phan, Catrina C.; Danver, Joan; Podell, Richard N.; Fitzpatrick, Trisha; Peterson, Daniel L.; Gottschalk, C. Gunnar; Rajeevan, Mangalathu S.; MCAM Study Group (2017), "Multi-Site Clinical Assessment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (MCAM): Design and Implementation of a Prospective/Retrospective Rolling Cohort Study.", American Journal of Epidemiology, 1–10, doi:10.1093/aje/kwx029
- Oleske JJ. A Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey, The New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services; 2002.