Postviral fatigue syndrome
Controversy[edit | edit source]
Under ICD-10, a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) diagnosis excludes a PVFS diagnosis. The proposal for ICD-11 is PVFS be deprecated (no longer its own concept title, diagnosis, and code) and can be, along with Postviral syndrome, (PVS) a synonym under the concept title of Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME).
Some medical literature uses the term Postviral syndrome (PVS) and it is noted that current interest focus on recent or persisting infection with Coxsackie viruses. It is claimed that a balanced view of the syndrome is a "mixture of organic and psychiatric function".
Research[edit | edit source]
There is no formal research into PVFS or PVS unlike the exhaustive examination of years of data, reports, and studies that produced the criteria Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease (SEID) in the Institute of Medicine report.
Post-infectious Fatigue Syndrome[edit | edit source]
The Oxford criteria has a Post-infectious Fatigue Syndrome (PIFS) as one of its definitions. The Argus Report article US NIH Report Calls for UK Definition of ME/CFS to be Scrapped states: "The NIH has issued a draft report that highlights the dire need for scientific research that will help find a cure for the millions of people suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) worldwide. The report also highlights the fact that the decades-old UK Royal Society of Medicine’s Oxford criteria for ME/CFS are severely “flawed,” and that continuing to use these criteria may “cause harm.” Further, the NIH report says that the Royal Society definition should “be retired” and replaced with a single case definition agreed to by the ME/CFS community."
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (book)
- Suzanne O'Sullivan is quoted in a PVFS ELLE Magazine article Mind Games.
References[edit | edit source]
- ICD-10 Postviral fatigue syndrome G93.3
- Proposal for the ICD-10 G93.3 legacy terms for ICD-1 Note 3: Deprecation of postviral fatigue syndrome Pg. 6
- The post-viral syndrome: a review - The British Journal of General Practice
- US NIH Report Calls for UK Definition of ME/CFS to be Scrapped - The Argus Report By Penny Swift
- Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome - Sleepy Dust
- What Is ME / CFS / PVFS? - Sleepy Dust
- Mind Games - ELLE Magazine September 2016 - Phoenix Rising - ELLE Anecdotes used to promote O'Sullivan, complain she's being trolled