Paul R. Cheney, MD, PhD, is a physician of Internal Medicine who was at the center of the outbreak of the disease in Incline Village, Nevada at Lake Tahoe with Dr. Daniel Peterson in 1984 to 1987. Later, he moved to North Carolina and shared a medical practice from 1992 to 1995 with Dr. Charles Lapp. He now resides and practices medicine in Ashville, North Carolina.
Cheney was a founding Director of the American Association of CFS, now the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. He was a provider of Ampligen for a clinical trial while in North Carolina.
In 2010 at the Invest in ME Conference, regarding Graded exercise therapy, Dr Paul Cheney said "The whole idea that you can take a disease like this and exercise your way to health is foolishness. It is insane".
- MD - Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
- Phd in physics - Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- 1992, A chronic illness characterized by fatigue, neurologic and immunologic disorders, and active human herpesvirus type 6 infection
- The Cheney Clinic
- 1 Vanderbilt Park Dr #120
- Asheville, North Carolina, 28803
Talks & interviews
- 2013, "Compassionate Use Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome using both chemical and probiotic (MAF 314) forms of GcMAF" Seminar - Part 1 Seminar - Part 2 Seminar - Q&A
- 2010, Speaker at the 5th Invest in ME International ME Conference on Diastolic Dysfunction in ME/CFS: A Cardiac Manifestation of Cellular Energy Defects in ME/CFS DVD available
- 1996, Primetime Live TV Show - Sick and Tired
- 1993, Testimony Before the FDA Scientific Advisory Committee
- 23 Jun 2015, The Cheney Chronicles #3: One Year Later – Decision Time
- 25 Aug 2014, The Cheney Chronicles #2: His Protocol For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Chris
- 22 May 2014, From Mono To Giardia To Orthostatic Intolerance to … Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Dr. Cheney: the First Visit by Chris
- 27 April 2013, Dr. Paul Cheney's Latest Observations, Research, Treatments, and Thoughts on ME/CFS by MD with ME
- 20 Jul 2009, Dr. Paul Cheney, MD, PhD – A Pioneer Still at the Forefront of ME/CFS Research, by cort Johnson
- 1990, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The Media and ME
- Buchwald, Dedra; Cheney, Paul R.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Henry, Berch; Wormsley, Susan B.; Geiger, Ann; Ablashi, Dharam V.; Salahuddin, S. Zaki; Saxinger, Carl; Biddle, Royce; Kikinis, Ron; Jolesz, Ferenc A.; Folks, Thomas; Balachandran, N.; Peter, James B.; Gallo, Robert C.; Komaroff, Anthony L. (1992), "A chronic illness characterized by fatigue, neurologic and immunologic disorders, and active human herpesvirus type 6 infection", Annals of Internal Medicine, 116 (2): 103-113, PMID 1309285