Palmitoylethanolamide or Palmitoylethanolamine (PEA) is a naturally occurring fatty acid that is available as a supplement and may have benefits for chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and for some mast cell activation or neurological diseases.
PEA is also known as palmitoylethanolamide powder, hydroxyethylpalmitamide, Impulsin, N-(2-Hydroxyethyl) hexadecanamide, N-(2-Hydroxyethyl)palmitamide, Palmitamide MEA, Palmitic Acid Monoethanolamide, um-PEA, Palmidrol, and under various brand names including Normast®︎.
Ultramicronized PEA[edit | edit source]
Theory[edit | edit source]
Evidence[edit | edit source]
Clinicians[edit | edit source]
Risks and safety[edit | edit source]
Costs and availability[edit | edit source]
Normast[edit | edit source]
Epitech's Normast is probably the best known brand of PEA, and has been used for multiple clinical trials including for fibromyalgia pain, in spinal cord injury patients where it was found to be not statistically more effective than a placebo for nerve pain, spasicity, and insomnia, and for other chronic health conditions. Normast ultramicronized PEA and is manufactured in Italy.
Other brands[edit | edit source]
Buy online[edit | edit source]
- Vitalitus - United States
- Normast - ViaFarmacia, Italy, worldwide shipping
- RS Supplements - Netherlands, worldwide shipping
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2012, New Targets in Pain, Non-Neuronal Cells, and the Role of Palmitoylethanolamide 
- 2002, The Palmitoylethanolamide Family: A New Class of Anti-Inflammatory Agents?
- 2009, The potential benefits of palmitoylethanolamide in palliation: a qualitative systematic review(Full text)
- 2014, Palmitoylethanolamide in CNS health and disease(Abstract)
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lambert, D.M.; Vandevoorde, S.; Jonsson, K-O.; Fowler, C.J. (March 1, 2002). "The Palmitoylethanolamide Family: A New Class of Anti-Inflammatory Agents ?". Current Medicinal Chemistry. 9 (6): 663–674. doi:10.2174/0929867023370707.
- "PALMITOYLETHANOLAMIDE (PEA): Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and Reviews". WebMD. Retrieved March 8, 2021.
- Andresen, Sven R.; Bing, Jette; Hansen, Rikke M.; Biering-Sørensen, Fin; Johannesen, Inger L.; Hagen, Ellen Merete; Rice, Andrew S. C.; Nielsen, Jørgen F.; Bach, Flemming W. (September 2016). "Ultramicronized palmitoylethanolamide in spinal cord injury neuropathic pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial". PAIN. 157 (9): 2097–2103. doi:10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000623. ISSN 0304-3959.
- "Micronized Palmitoylethanolamide bulk Powder,bulk PEA". Cima Science Premium Ingredients Manufacturer. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- "PeaPure Capsules - PEA". RS4supplements.com English. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- "Palmitoylethanolamide FAQ". vitalitus.com. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
- Davis, Mellar P.; Behm, Bertrand; Mehta, Zankhana; Fernandez, Carlos (December 1, 2019). "The Potential Benefits of Palmitoylethanolamide in Palliation: A Qualitative Systematic Review". American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine®. 36 (12): 1134–1154. doi:10.1177/1049909119850807. ISSN 1049-9091.
- Mattace Raso, Giuseppina; Russo, Roberto; Calignano, Antonio; Meli, Rosaria (August 2014). "Palmitoylethanolamide in CNS health and disease". Pharmacological Research. 86: 32–41. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2014.05.006. ISSN 1096-1186. PMID 24844438.
central nervous system (CNS) - One of the two parts of the human nervous system, the other part being the peripheral nervous system. The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord, while the peripheral nervous system consists of nerves that travel from the central nervous system into the various organs and tissues of the body.