Memory problems in myalgic encephalomyelitis can be very disabling. Mental fatigue makes memory problems worse but does not account for all memory deficiencies in people with ME/CFS. A 2006 study by the CDC found that patients with CFS and high complaints of mental fatigue exhibited significant impairment in working memory.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- In a 2001 Belgian study, 85.6% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 89.3% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported memory problems.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, impairment of concentration and short-term memory consolidation is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Neurological/Cognitive Manifestations.
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of substantial impairment in short-term memory can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, forgetfulness is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria - Neuropsychologic Complaints.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2006, Cognitive dysfunction relates to subjective report of mental fatigue in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (Full text)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Capuron, Lucile; Welberg, Leonie; Heim, Christine; Wagner, Dieter; Solomon, Laura; Papanicolaou, Dimitris A; Craddock, R Cameron; Miller, Andrew H; Reeves, William C (2006), "Cognitive Dysfunction Relates to Subjective Report of Mental Fatigue in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Neuropsychopharmacology, 31: 1777–1784, doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1301005
- De Becker, P; McGregor, N; De Meirleir, K (Sep 2001), "A definition-based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.", Journal of Internal Medicine, 250 (3): 234-240, PMID 11555128
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS