List of approved herbal medicines by the EU Committee for Herbal Medicinal Products
The European Union's Committee for Herbal Medicinal Products (HCMP) maintains a list of herbal treatments known to be traditionally used for medical problems without harmful effects.
The list details the dose, form it is taken in, strength, any maximum time herbal treatments should be used for, and suitability for children, pregnant women or any other specific groups.
- Calendula officinalis L, also known as calendulae flos, calendula flower, garden marigold, marigold, marygold and others
- For minor skin inflammation including sunburn, minor throat or mouth inflammation or minor skin wounds
- Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench, also known as Black Samsons, Black Susan, Purple Coneflower Herb, and others
- Prevention and treatment of common colds, can be applied to skin for small superficial wounds. May cause allergic reactions.
- Siberian ginseng, also known as Devil's shrub, eleuthero, eleutherococcus senticosus (Rupr. et Maxim.), Kan Jang, Maxim, and Shigoka
- A traditional herbal medicinal for symptoms of asthenia such as fatigue and weakness.
- Bitter fennel, also known as bitter fennel fruit, bitter fennel fruit oil, foeniculum vulgare Miller subsp. vulgare var. vulgare, foeniculi amari fructus aetherolum
- Helps with coughing up mucus in a cough associated with a cold, has hormonal effects and allergic reactions may occur
- Sweet fennel, also known as foeniculum vulgare Miller subsp. vulgare var. dulce (Miller) Thellung, sweet fennel fruit, sweet fennel fruit oil
- Witch-hazel (hamamelis virginiana L., folium et cortex aut ramunculus destillatum)
- Tea tree oil - melaleuca alternifolia (Maiden and Betch) Cheel, M. linariifolia Smith, M. dissitiflora F. Mueller and/or other species of Melaleuca, aetheroleum
- Peppermint oil (mentha x piperita L.)
- Aniseed (pimpinella anisum L)
- Sideritis (sideritis scardica Griseb., also known as ironwort)
- Garden thyme (thymus vulgaris L., thyme essential oil, thymus zygis Loefl. ex L., aetheroleum)
- Valeriana officinalis L.
- Grapevine leaf (vitis vinifera L., folium)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- List of herbal substances, preparations and combinations thereof for use in traditional herbal medicinal products - HCMP
References[edit | edit source]
- Committee for Herbal Medicinal Products (Nov 21, 2018). "COMMISSION DECISION of 21 November 2008 establishing of a list of herbal substances, preparations and combinations thereof for use in traditional herbal medicinal products (notified under document number C(2008) 6933) (Text with EEA relevance) (2008/911/EC) (OJ L 328 6.12.2008, p. 42)". eur-lex.europa.eu. Retrieved Jul 27, 2020.