Causes[edit | edit source]
Hypothyroidism has a number of different causes, including:
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis, also known as Hashimoto's disease
- Congenital hypothyroidism, which is when a person is born with hypothyroidism
- Thyroid surgery that removes all or part of the thyroid
- Past radiation treatment of the thyroid
- Other causes include certain medicines, too much or too little iodine in the diet, or pituitary disease (which is another endocrine disease).
ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. "Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)". National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Retrieved Oct 8, 2020.