Emerge Australia efforts include peer support groups, Health Promotion activities, awareness and fundraising activities, advocacy, seminars and a dedicated Member information service. They produce a quarterly Emerge Journal.
"We are determined to strengthen the national response to ME/CFS and welcome and encourage all State and Territory organisations, communities and individuals to join with us as we move forward with hope, vigour and a commitment to lead."
Aims[edit | edit source]
- "Mission - To support, provide information and advocacy for people associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
- Vision - Universal awareness and acknowledgement of ME/CFS as a medical condition.
- Values - To serve the best interests of people affected by ME/CFS with integrity, compassion and empathy."
Funding[edit | edit source]
Emerge Australia has no ongoing funding and relies on donations from individuals, community grants, trusts and government.
History[edit | edit source]
The 'ME Society' was formed in 1980 in Victoria, and included patients from Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. The New South Wales and ACT societies formed independently, at the same time. The society's quarterly information brochure, 'Emerge', began in 1980. In 2014, the society was renamed from 'ME/CFS Australia (Victoria)' to 'Emerge Australia'.
Advocacy actions[edit | edit source]
- 2016: An open letter is sent to Queen Mary University London, and the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK, asking for the release of the PACE Trial data.
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 23 Feb 2016, The Wire Radio in Australia covers the dismal research spending into ME and interviews patient Sasha, Senator Scott Ludlam and Sally Missings of Emerge Australia]
- 27 May 2014, "ME Part 1 Byron Bay Lighthouse FM MAY 2014"
- 27 May 2014, "ME Part 2 Byron Bay Lighthouse FM MAY 2014"
- 20 May 2014, "ME/CFS 774 ABC Radio 2014 Richard Stubbs and Nicole Phillips"
- 24 Sept 2013 "ME Phillips Radio Interview 2013"
- Vimeo channel - Emerge seminars
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Emerge Australia - About Us
- Emerge Australia - History
- Emerge Australia (20 Mar 2016), Open Letter to QMUL - Request for the release of PACE trial data