Dharam V. Ablashi, (b. 1931), DVM, MS, Dip. Bact. (Diploma in Bacteriology), Research Microbiologist, Head of DNA Viruses Section and Coordinator of DNA Viruses, National Cancer Institute.
He co-discovered HHV-6 in 1986, while working at the National Cancer Institute at National Institutes of Health and is the Scientific Director of the HHV-6 Foundation and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee.
Ablashi co-founded the American Association of CFS with Orvalene Prewitt, in 1990. The organization has been renamed as the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis with Ablashi serving as a past President of the Board of Directors from 2003-2004.
Awards[edit | edit source]
- 2007, Rudy Perpich Senior Lectureship Award, presented to a distinguished CFS/FM scientist, physician or healthcare worker awarded by IACFS/ME
- 2007, Achievement Award from New Jersey CFS Association Inc.
CFSAC Testimony[edit | edit source]
- Written presentation at October 29, 2009:"It is imperative that the CDC study biopsy samples from the gut, and brain as well as heart tissues, and that they look at spinal fluid. Most of the studies done by the CDC have been on serum. However, many pathogens cannot be found in the serum because they do not circulate in the peripheral blood after the initial infection."
Open Letter to The Lancet[edit | edit source]
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Ablashi, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
Notable Studies in ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
- 2010, Serum Cytokine Levels in Postinfective Fatigue Syndrome (Full Text)
- 2001, Prevalence of IgM and IgG Antibody to HHV-6 and HHV-8 and Results of Plasma PCR to HHV-6 and HHV-7 in a Group of CFS Patients and Healthy Donors (Abstract)
- 1996, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): A Critical Evaluation of Testing for Active Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) Infection, Review of Data of 107 Cases (Abstract)
- 1995, Viruses and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Abstract)
- 1995, Long Term Improvements in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treated with Ampligen (Abstract)
- 1994, Ampligen inhibits human herpesvirus-6 in vitro (Abstract)
- 1992, A chronic illness characterized by fatigue, neurologic and immunologic disorders, and active human herpesvirus type 6 infection (Abstract)
- 1992, Clinical, Epidemiologic, and Virologic Studies in Four Clusters of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Abstract - can request full article)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn More[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/meetings/presentations /ablashi_1009.pdf
- Cameron, Barbara; Hirschberg, David L.; Rosenberg-Hassan, Yael; Ablashi, Dharam; Lloyd, Andrew R. (2010), "Serum Cytokine Levels in Postinfective Fatigue Syndrome", Clinical Infectious Diseases, 50 (2): 278-280, doi:10.1086/649546
- Levine, Susan; Eastman, Helen; Ablashi, Dharam V. (2001), "Prevalence of IgM and IgG Antibody to HHV-6 and HHV-8 and Results of Plasma PCR to HHV-6 and HHV-7 in a Group of CFS Patients and Healthy Donors", Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 9 (1-2): 31-40, doi:10.1300/J092v09n01_04
- Wagner, Mathias; Krueger, Gerhard R. F.; Ablashi, Dharam V.; Whitman, James E. (1996), "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): A Critical Evaluation of Testing for Active Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) Infection, Review of Data of 107 Cases", Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2 (4): 3-16, doi:10.1300/J092v02n04_02
- Ablashi, Dharam V.; Ablashi, Kristine L.; Kramarsky, Bernhard; Bernbaum, John; Whitman, James E.; Pearson, Gary R. (1995), "Viruses and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Current Status", Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 1 (2): 4-22, doi:10.1300/J092v01n02_02
- Strayer, DR; Carter, W; Strauss, KI; Brodsky, I; Suhadolnik, R; Ablashi, D; Henry, B; Mitchell, WM; Bastien, S; Peterson, D (1995), "Long Term Improvements in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treated with Ampligen", Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 1 (1): 35-53, doi:10.1300/J092v01n01_04
- Ablashi, DV; Berneman, ZN; Williams, M; Strayer, D; Kramarsky, B; Suhadolnik, RJ; Reichenbach, N; Hiltzges, P; Komaroff, AL (1994), "Ampligen inhibits human herpesvirus-6 in vitro", In Vivo, 8 (4): 587-91, PMID 7893986
- Buchwald, Dedra; Cheney, Paul R.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Henry, Berch; Wormsley, Susan B.; Geiger, Ann; Ablashi, Dharam V.; Salahuddin, S. Zaki; Saxinger, Carl; Biddle, Royce; Kikinis, Ron; Jolesz, Ferenc A.; Folks, Thomas; Balachandran, N.; Peter, James B.; Gallo, Robert C.; Komaroff, Anthony L. (1992), "A chronic illness characterized by fatigue, neurologic and immunologic disorders, and active human herpesvirus type 6 infection", Annals of Internal Medicine, 116 (2): 103-113, PMID 1309285
- Levine, Paul H.; Jacobson, Steven; Pocinki, Alan G.; Cheney, Paul; Peterson, Daniel; Connelly, Roger R; Weil, R; Robinson, SM; Ablashi, Dharam V; Salahuddin, Sayeef Z; Pearson, GR; Hoover, R (1992), "Clinical, Epidemiologic, and Virologic Studies in Four Clusters of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Archives of Internal Medicine, 152 (8): 1611-1616, doi:10.1001/archinte.1992.00400200049009