(Redirected from Concentration problems)
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- 93.0% - 95.9% of the 2073 patients in a Belgian study of 2001 reported attention deficit.
- Katrina Berne reports a prevalence of 70-100% for concentration/attention deficit.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, impairment of concentration and short-term memory consolidation is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Neurological/Cognitive Manifestations.
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of substantial impairment in concentration can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, inability to concentrate is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria - Neuropsychologic Complaints.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2006, Cognitive dysfunction relates to subjective report of mental fatigue in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome
"CFS patients with significant complaints of mental fatigue (score of mental fatigue 2 standard deviations above the mean of nonfatigued subjects) exhibited significant impairment in the spatial working memory and sustained attention (rapid visual information processing) tasks when compared to CFS patients with low complaints of mental fatigue and nonfatigued subjects. In CFS patients with significant mental fatigue, sustained attention performance was impaired only in the final stages of the test, indicating greater cognitive fatigability in these patients."
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- De Becker, P; McGregor, N; De Meirleir, K (Sep 2001), "A definition-based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.", Journal of Internal Medicine, 250 (3): 234-240, PMID 11555128
- Berne, Katrina (1 Dec 1995), Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS), 2nd ed., Hunter House, p. 59, ISBN 978-0897931915
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS
- Capuron, Lucile; Welberg, Leonie; Heim, Christine; Wagner, Dieter; Solomon, Laura; Papanicolaou, Dimitris A; Craddock, R Cameron; Miller, Andrew H; Reeves, William C (2006), "Cognitive Dysfunction Relates to Subjective Report of Mental Fatigue in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Neuropsychopharmacology, 31: 1777–1784, doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1301005