Chronic pain is described by the NIH as follows: "Chronic pain persists. Pain signals keep firing in the nervous system for weeks, months, even years." Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) patients can experience chronic pain but it is the primary symptom of fibromyalgia. Lupus, arthritis, Multiple sclerosis, osteoarthritis, shingles, and neuropathy are also conditions that have chronic pain.
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, pain is a required symptom for diagnosis. It requires that "there is a significant degree of myalgia. Pain can be experienced in the muscles, and/or joints, and is often widespread and migratory in nature. Often there are significant headaches of new type, pattern or severity."
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2019, Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations (Full text)
- 2018, Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: A meta-analysis of clinical trials
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Chronic Pain Information Page | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke". www.ninds.nih.gov. Retrieved Aug 15, 2018.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- Dworkin, RH; Turk, DC; Farrar, JT; Haythornthwaite, JA; Jensen, MP; Katz, NP; Kerns, RD; Stucki, G; Allen, RR; Bellamy, N; Carr, DB (Jan 1, 2005). "Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations" (PDF). PAIN. 113 (1): 9–19.
- Yang, Xiu Hong; Zhang, Bao Long; Gu, Yan Hong; Zhan, Xiao Li; Guo, Li Li; Jin, Hui Min (2018). "Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis of clinical trials". Sleep Medicine. 51: 59–65. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2018.06.020. ISSN 1389-9457.
- "23 Ways to Combat Pain Naturally By Increasing Your Opioids - Selfhacked". Selfhacked. Mar 28, 2016. Retrieved Aug 15, 2018.