Betsy A. Keller, PhD, is a professor in the Department of Exercise & Sport Sciences at Ithaca College in New York. She is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), past member of the Board of Trustees of ACSM, and past president and former department chair of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter of ACSM.
Since 2005, she has provided 2-day cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET) for persons with ME/CFS for purposes of research and/or to provide an objective assessment of functional capacity and ability to perform and recover following physical work for disability reports. She studies the effects of physical activity in ME/CFS on parameters of physiological and immune function.
In 2015 Keller said "Given what we have learned in the past eight years about this illness, it is intellectually embarrassing to suggest that ME is a psychological illness."
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2018, Eukaryotes in the gut microbiota in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (Full Text)
- 2016, A Pair of Identical Twins Discordant for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Differ in Physiological Parameters and Gut Microbiome Composition
- 2014, Inability of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome patients to reproduce VO₂peak indicates functional impairment (Full Text)
Talks & interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2016, 12th International IACFS/ME Biennial Clinical and Research Conference, Emerging Science and Clinical Care, How Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing Informs Pathology and Treatment(Workshop given with Christopher Snell, Ph.D. and Mark VanNess, Ph.D.)
- 2013, ‘A Foreign and Illogical Result': Dr. Betsy Keller on Exercise Testing in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Ithaca College - Betsy Keller
- 2014, NEW DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS FOR ME/CFS
- 2012, Exercise Testing and Using a Heart Rate Monitor
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Nice Guidelines Blog
- Mandarano, AH; Giloteaux, L; Keller, BA; Levine, SM; Hanson, MR (2018), "Eukaryotes in the gut microbiota in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome", PeerJ, 6: e4282, doi:10.7717/peerj.4282
- Giloteaux, Ludovic; Hanson, Maureen R.; Keller, Betsy (2016), "A Pair of Identical Twins Discordant for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Differ in Physiological Parameters and Gut Microbiome Composition", American Journal of Case Reports, 17: 720-729, doi:10.12659/AJCR.900314
- Keller, Betsy A.; Pryor, John Luke; Giloteaux, Ludovic (2014), "Inability of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome patients to reproduce VO2peak indicates functional impairment", Journal of Translational Medicine, 12 (104), doi:10.1186/1479-5876-12-104